You can purchase these horns directly from us HERE
We have been planning to install these horns on the White Sheep for a while now; things kept getting in the way. We finally got some time to get them installed and wanted to share the install with you guys! We know that the factory horns are fairly loud so we were unsure exactly how much of an advantage we would see by installing these horns. I’ve got to say though, WOW these things are LOUD! We did a little dB meter testing with an android phone so it was in no way scientific at all, but we found an 11db difference from 20 ft. away. While this might not seem like a whole lot, being that it’s 20 feet away, it is a VERY noticeable difference. Here’s a picture of the location of the phone, how we kept it in place, and the readings we found.
Well, let’s see what tools are necessary to install these. This all depends on how you want to install them; you could very well do it with leaving the front bumper on by pulling the lower covers off the car and reaching up into the passenger front section where the horns are located, shown here:
We pulled the front bumper off with plans to install them in another location, but once we started messing around with different placement, we found that the factory location is the best place for them. So, while the front bumper is pulled off in the pictures, just think of the install with the bumper installed. It would have been a LOT less time consuming if we wouldn’t have pulled it off. Tools needed when installing with the bumper in place will be:
1) T30 Torx
3) Wire strippers/crimpers
5) Bolt/nut to couple the brackets together
6) Electrical tape
7) 4 female blade connectors
8) 2 spade connectors
9) Heat wrap (for wires)
Now that we have everything gathered up, let’s get started. Get the car in the air and secured either on jack stands, or on a lift. Pull the lower front lip off (3 T30 torx screws) then the belly pan (8 T30 torx screws) and finally, the front lower cover (7 T30 Torx screws and 4 push clips) Now that we have everything apart, let work on pulling the factory horns out. This will be very easy, just a single 10mm bolt and a wiring clip (just squeeze the clip and it pulls right off) Here’s our resident ratchet man, pulling the bolt out. You can see the clip hanging down, there is also a Christmas tree clip holding the wiring harness to the bracket, it should push right out.
Now that we have the bracket out, let’s take it to the vice, and drill the holes out to fit the larger bolts on the back of the Hella horns. We used a 21/64 bit, but a 3/8 would work just as well.
Here we are drilling out one of the holes and test fitting it, perfect fit!
Now drill out the other side, and there you have it, a bracket, ready to accept the Hellas!
So we wanted the horns to have a nice, square, symmetrical look to them when they were installed, if you just use the bracket by itself, it’s impossible to do, it places the horns to close together and you would need to bend the bracket to get them to fit. So, we took on of the brackets that came with the horns and did some test fitting.
We found the best location for it and found a bolt to couple them together (the kit does not come with bolts; it only comes with the nut on the back of the horn on the stud.
This seems to be the best way to install the bracket and keep everything nice and even and symmetrical.
Here we are test fitting to make sure they will look properly, both horns are loose at this point. But you can see, they are just about perfectly placed.
Now, for the wiring. This is pretty easy, all we did was take some female blade connectors and put them on the horn’s connectors. Now we found that there are no markings for the positive and negative on these horns, so we made sure we used the same side connector and spliced them together. So, we took some spade connectors, cut one side off and this seemed to work great to reuse the factory connector without having to cut the end off. In case we decided to put the stock horns back on.
Now that they are all wired up, we just need to hook them up to the factory connector, these spade connectors work great for sliding into the factory receptacle. They just push in, nice and snug, we used electrical tape to tape them up to the connector to help keep them in place and to reduce the possibility of a ground out.
Here are some placement shots along with some clearance shots so you can get an idea of how they fit.
Now that we have them installed, blast those things! Man, they are really loud. When we were testing the wiring, we hit the horn while standing right in front of them, boy that was a mistake. It about made us deaf. If you were having issues with the volume of your existing horns, these are a great way to increase the volume without breaking you wallet. There is a video of these in another person’s thread so we didn’t post a video, if you would like us to post a different video, let us know and we’ll get one up. Thanks for reading, and enjoy your new, loud horns!