Event: Dyno Tune/Product Testing
Location: ZipTie Dynoworks, Salt Lake City, Utah
Ambient Temp: 87F
Elevation: 4600 Feet
Car: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Tuner: None, this was for a Baseline
Dyno Info: Mustang Dynamometer
Transmission: Factory 6-speed
Peak HP: 150
Peak TQ: 116
Fuel: 91 Octane
We wanted to get a good baseline on our local dyno, so we packed up and headed over to ZipTie Dynoworks. When we arrived they had everything set up and ready to go it was as simple as handing them the keys while I relaxed and watch them strap it down. Once they had the car secured to the dyno, we did a few runs to let the oil get up to temp to get an accurate power reading. After the first few pulls we had a maximum of 147HP and 114TQ. This was a bit better than I had expected having seen some other stock BRZ dyno numbers, but still seems to be right on par based of the Dyno we and others have used.
Next we wanted to see what would happen if we just removed the factory filter, so we popped the hood and quickly removed the stock filter. One thing I will point out is that the factory air filter actually looks really really good, it has quite a bit of surface area and seem to be of super high quality, so we were impressed by that. But this is not a stock filter review, we are here to get some numbers! So we made a few more pulls with the factory air filter out of the box, and we got a maximum HP of 148 and max TQ of 114. We were hoping to see more gains out of this, but it seems like the power delivery was not as smooth, and while we did gain 1 horsepower overall, the majority of the time, we were actually under power compared to the stock filter. I am guessing this has to do with the way the air floes over the MAF sensor itself, and I do think having a filter in the box creates the proper air flow over the MAF. Now that was all done, we wanted to try out the new Apexi drop in air filter. Removing it from the box, you can instantly tell this will be a much better flowing filter than stock, and if not that, at least it is looks much better.
We did have some issues installing the new air filter in the air box, this might have just been us trying to hurry to get the car off the dyno, but we had to physically remove the air box, put the filter in, clamp the air box together and bolt it back in the car.
Something about a bunch of monkeys and a football comes to mind looking back on this… Once the monkeys got the air filter installed, we fired up the engine for a few more pulls. With the engine breathing much better, we achieved a maximum HP of 150 and a Maximum TQ of 116. Now this is what we are talking about! Not only did we see a gain of 3 HP and 2 TQ over the stock filter, but throughout the entire RPM range it made more power than the stock filter. Not too bad for a drop in air filter and what should have been a 2 minute install haha.
Driving the car, it does seem the throttle response has improved ever so slightly, and the car does seem to pull a bit easier as well through the RPM range. Not a huge performance gain, but I figure it is a very worthwhile modification if you ever have to replace the factory panel filter and do not want to go with a true aftermarket air intake system.
Just wanted to give a big shout out to all of the guys over at ZipTie Dynoworks, this was the first time I have been to their new shop and it is nice to see a clean, well-organized shop, and all the smiling faces over there always helps too. 🙂
Also make sure to check out our video of our little dyno adventure 🙂